Tuesday, March 13, 2007

LCD Televisions - Update

I had posted a while ago about LCD televisions and how bad they looked. I was quite categorical and called it crap. Well, last weekend, we were just going around Koramangala and happened to drive past the Panasonic brand shop. For a change, it was Vidya that suggested that we go and take a look at the Plasma televisions. They didn't have the Plasma high definition set, but he showed us the LCD sets, both in 32 and 26 inches. The demo made me realise that all LCD brands are not made the same. The earlier one that I had seen, Samsung was crap. On the Panasonic, the same Tata Sky broadcast looked wonderful. The salesman also played a demo DVD, upconverted to 720p and that looked mindblowing as most demo DVDs do.

Given my misgiving earlier, I didn't want to jump in without doing some more research. I came home, did some research on the web and on Sunday, we went an bought it. Its a Panasonic Viera 32LX500M. It cost around 70000, a little above the average price, but then its a slightly higher end model.

We've had it for 3 days now and I'm quite happy with the performance so far. The colours look fantastic. We've mainly used the 4:3 mode for watching TV, as the 16:9 mode makes everything look stretched. We don't have an upconverting DVD, but even standard DVD's look fantastic.

2 comments:

Denish said...

how about the sound? i read some reviews that the sound could be better for the higher than average price that you pay for it.

Denish said...

but i forget, you can hook it up to the Sony system