Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Airtel broadband

Airtel has announced a 8 Mbps broadband offering. That's good news, but as I expected, they are announcing a puny 7-8 GB download limit. Essentially, this means that if you use your connection to full capacity, your monthly quota is over in a little over 2 hours. You have to wonder at the special breed of dimwits that we have in allthe Indian telecom providers.

It'll be interesting to see the kind of pricing that they will have for this speed and whether it will translate into lower pricing for the lower speed plans. I'd also like to see them change their download policy, rather than charging extra for the excess downloads, they can throttle the connection to a lower speed of 512 kbps or 1 Mbps. If that happens, I would definitely consider moving to the higher speed plans. Until then, I'm sticking to my pathetic low speed unlimited plan.

1 comment:

Sanjeev Kumar said...

My experience so far with ISPs in India is that they just sell the pipe size. The water still barely trickles down. I am yet to find someone who can give us true broadband!