Monday, December 31, 2007

Long trip home

We went on a long trip to Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Udaipur and Ahmedabad. 10 days, 2 flights, 4 train journeys, countless rickshaw and traffic rides. I ended up 2 kg heavier but 25K rupees lighter. That's not including the train + airfare. Whoever said India is a cheap place to travel.

Despite the large number of great places we visited, I have to say that the main highlight of the trip was the food. We had the best samosas that I had ever eaten at Gopaldas Pethe wale near the Jama Masjid in Agra. And the best jalebis ever, cooked in pure desi ghee at Dilli Haat. This was followed by a traditional Rajasthani feast at Lakshmi Mishthan Bhandhar in Jaipur and an amazing Gujrati thali at Pakwan in Ahmedabad. When I think back, I count myself lucky to have got away with just a 2 kg increase.

I was also really impressed with the cities that I visited, especially Jaipur and Ahmedabad. They both have seen a lot of development, but it seems to be a lot more planned than Bangalore. Ahmedabad, in particular really impressed with its wide and good roads, lush greenery and the general prosperity that I saw there.

It was a good end to 2007 and I feel happy that I am starting 2008 on a happy note.

No comments: