Friday, November 6, 2009

Back to Bangalore...at last

I made my first trip to Chennai for the Satyam transition project on 1-Sep. Between then and today, I have travelled back and forth 6 times spending almost 60% of the time there. In hindsight, a lot of our preparation was overkill as the cutover went through extremely well. But as I am discovering, that is how my new boss operates, he wants to sure all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed well in advance and goes over it twice to make sure!!!

I was expecting to work out of our Mount Road office, but it was not to be. To ensure proximity to the Satyam office, we had taken an office on Old Mahabalipuram Road (aka Rajiv Gandhi Salai : why do we insist on naming everything after that blasted family) near Thoraipakkam. Despite the development that has taken place over the last 5 years, there is a big difference between that and the rest of the city especially when it comes to decent hotels and restaurants. Since we were in office till 10pm almost every day, it wasn't so bad. But once the cutover was complete, we were done at 6pm and that's when I felt isolated on OMR road.

At home, Mukund has been growing a lot and progressing enormously in his development. He now smiles all the time, especially when he is around his Nisha-akka. He has outgrown the batchtub we had bought for him, so we had to go and buy a replacement one today. Nisha is doing well in school, she and the 1-5 standard kids are putting up a grand show next week. She has not revealed much as it is meant to be a "surprise" for the parents.

My new Ford Fiesta is coming tomorrow. I went for a grey colour one, as none of the other colours appealed much to me. I wasn't very impressed with the grey, but since I had booked it, and a change would have taken another month, I had to go ahead. I've still not decided what to do with the Santro. I could sell it or employ a driver and use it for Vidya to go to the office. I'll decide in a month or so.

The other thing that I am really looking forward to is cycling and jogging, which have suffered greatly over the past 2 months. A lack of exercise and unhealthy diet have sent my weight soaring over the big eighty, have to work hard to bring it down to 77-78 before the month end!!!

No comments: